Monday, December 15, 2008

Final Thoughts

Well, I have officially survived my first semester of college and wow! It went by so quickly! I managed to remain intact throughout these few months, although at times, I had "freak-out-what-the-heck-am-I-doing" moments. I began a new job and college on the same day and my life has been so insanely hectic this semester. I finally feel as if I can breathe. I have learned a lot about myself this semester. I heard so much about time-management when I started, but I didn't really know what I could handle until I got into it. It has definitely been a process of trial and error for me and I feel that next semester will definitely be easier. My freshman orientation was the very last one, so I had limited class options (I mean, they literally gave me ONE page of available classes...double-sided of course, but still) and said, "Here, work with it." I decided to take French 101 this semester because I would have had to take a placement exam for Spanish and there was no guarantee I would get in to the class I placed in...it seemed like a good idea at the time. So, I have absolutely no prior French experience, and I mean NONE, and to top it off it's an evening class! And now that I have forgotten all of my Spanish vocabulary, it looks as if I'll be pursuing French by default. As I said, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Oh, and everything was so packed, I was constantly running back and forth, here and there, frantically trying to complete all of my assignments and work and volunteer and fulfill prior obligations! It was horrible! There was a lot of "What? That's due when???" But I have learned so much from the experience. I have been pushed much harder than I have ever been pushed before and I believe I am a better person for it.

I honestly don't even know how I placed into this class, and to top it off it was media based, which is definitely not my forte. I feel like I'm one of those people who have a computer, but don't really deserve it because they don't know how to use it. lol. Seriously, I view myself almost like I view my grandmother. She has a Mac and all she does is play Solitaire! Haha! I must say, probably the most useful tool I have taken away from this class is the screen shot :). Oh, I feel so proud of my little technologically-ignorant self for being able to use that little trick. Seriously, I didn't think it could be done.

Overall, I think I did okay in the class, despite my handicaps, but I would most definitely revise my personal event essay for module II. I didn't use MLA properly (alas! another deficiency) and didn't receive the best of grades for that particular assignment.

This blog has been an interesting experience for me. I have never done anything like this before and am not sure how I feel about posting my thoughts to the world. I know nobody reads it anyway, but still...I'm not sure I like the exposure. It was difficult for me to post my personal projects online, especially since my learning curve with the computer is so low, but once again, it was definitely a good learning experience for me.

I think I'm going to quit my job at the insurance agency (oh, did I mention that I HATE it there? Seriously, I abhor that place. Oh, and it doesn't help that my boss is a racist, sexist, alcoholic, chauvinist either), and work at the University.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your job search! Try the library...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually applying for orientation leader over the break. I received the application in the mail and thought it looked like something I would be interested in. *fingers crossed* We'll see how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete